I know I should have been writing this post over a month ago. I know the game should be out by now. I know I’m late again, after all the final version should have been done by the 28th of May. So, first I’ll give an honest explanation for why it’s not done and give a list of what I still need to do to finish.
The upcoming version of IWBTW (v0.6) will, hopefully, be a fair bit easier than the old versions, at least for a few screens. When I shared this idea with some of my beta testers the general response was, “Why?”. It’s a fair question. Why make a game that is based on replicating the style of I Wanna Be the Guy, a platformer for masochists, easier? It comes down to playability.
Starting a new “blog” where I post the incoherent, nonsensical ideas that come to mind when I get home from work in the early mornings. I’m not going to proofread of check these for errors. They are what they are.
I’ve been watching a lot of casts of people playing Weegee (and some other fangames) recently, and it has made me reevaluate my way of thinking about these kinds of games. When I first started making IWBTW back in May 2009 the sole focus was to make a hard game. Anyone that has seen IWBTW v0.1 knows what the results of such a narrow minded endeavour were, a piece of garbage game, with horrible controls and underdeveloped ideas.
A few months later however I grew frustrated with the limitations with the engine and the low quality of the game it produced. As a result, the first remake was started. I created a new engine from scratch and began working on a bigger and better Weegee. This time I had different goals in mind. I didn’t just want to make a hard game. It needed to more more than another torture test. Weegee needed to be fun.
Changelog v0.47 (bugfix)
- Changed the puzzle room in world 2 so it doesnt start drawing until you leave each box
- Fixed a bug that allowed gaps to be made in the world 2 puzzle lines
- Fixed a bug that caused an error when returning to hub from a world one boss
- Fixed an error caused by uninitialized variables when heavy effects are off (Thanks again Brooks2000)
- Fixed music after bosses not adjusting with music volume
- Fixed lightning not working for world 1 miniboss
- Fixed forest screens being open to warp to one screen to early allowing you to skip the world by warping, returning to hub and warping again.
For Jools64′s fangame I Wanna Be the Michael_1985 click here.